CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE Resources
Guidebook Appendix - Provides detailed guidance regarding the Code Workbook that must be followed as part of CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE.
Logo and Communications Guide - This is an excerpt from the guidebook on logo usage and communication guidelines for CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE.
Prerequisites and Requirements
Chain of Custody (for wineries planning to use the wine logo/certification claims on the wine label)
- Metrics Guidance 2019 - Metrics guidance document that includes details on what needs to be measured, recorded and calculated to meet the metrics requirement. Participants should begin collecting data and tracking metrics in their first year of certification, but metrics will not be audited until the second year audit. You may use your own system, the metrics calculator in the SWP online system, or use the template provided in the guidance document. Vineyards must measure and record water use and nitrogen applied annually. Wineries must measure and record water use, energy use, and greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) related to energy and refrigerants annually.
Integrated Pest Management: Red/Yellow List Documents
- Criterion 6-34 with Educational Boxes - This criterion and associated educational boxes address the use of Red/Yellow list (prohibited and/or restricted) crop protection materials as part of the certification requirements. Vineyards that are Certified California Sustainable Winegrowing (CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE) may not use Red List materials by their second year of certification (i.e., Must score a Category 2 or higher by the first year audit; Must score a Category 3 or higher for all subsequent years). Criterion 6-34 was first introduced to the program in 2017. Vineyards certified to the program in 2017 or before must comply with the Red and Yellow List Requirements by their 2018 audit.
- Red/Yellow List Common Trade Names- This document contains the CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE red and yellow listed (prohibited and/or restricted) crop protection materials. These materials are regulated as restricted by the US Environmental Protection Agency and/or California DPR.
- Yellow List Use Form - Complete this form with your application for certification when using crop protection materials from the yellow list.
- Fees - Fees are based on the total acreage and/or case production being certified. Payment of annual fees is required prior to the issuance of a certificate each year.
Tools/Resources for Meeting Certification Requirements
- Action Plan Template - This template can be completed to fulfill the action plan requirement, or participants can choose to use another written format that suits their needs.
- Weed Scouting Template - An excel weed scouting template and handout to help growers assess and identify their weeds.
- Economic Thresholds and IPM Scouting Template - An excel based scouting template and a handout on identifying and treating hot spots, and using economic thresholds.
- IPM Plan Template- The following template serves as a guide to assist growers in creating a customized Integrated Pest Management Plan. It includes a comprehensive list of examples for reference. This template is primarily relevant to Chapter 6 “Pest Management” of the California Code of Sustainable Winegrowing.
- Air and Climate Protection Plan for Vineyards - The following template serves as a guide to assist growers in creating a customized management plan that addresses air quality and climate change. It includes a comprehensive list of examples for reference. This template is primarily relevant to Chapter 16 “Air Quality” of the California Code of Sustainable Winegrowing.
Environmental Compliance (2-2)
Tools to Meet Prerequisite Practices
- How to Conduct a DIY Vineyard Energy Audit - This DIY audit allows the individual winegrower to assess energy-consuming processes and equipment in order to discover potential changes in behavior or technology that can reduce energy consumption.
- Solid Waste Audit - This tool provides wineries with easy-to-follow steps for estimating the volume of solid waste generated at their. The tool covers how to collect available information, how to conduct a solid waste audit, identifying disposal practices, and estimating the costs and revenues for managing each waste stream.
- Winery Water Efficiency and Hot Spots Tool - This tool walks users through the steps needed to identify the highest water using activities ("hot spots") at the winery, and results in a conceptual facility water balance to understand where water is being used throughout the winery.
SWP Online System Reports
- Audit Checklist Report - Run this report to check if all prerequisites are already met or if any action plans must be developed. The report also shows which evidence requirements or supporting documentation will be needed during the audit to verify assessment scores.
- Certification Score Threshold Report: Run this report in the online system to see if you are meeting the 85% score threshold (85% of total scores must be a Category 2 or above). If you have not met the threshold, the report will show exactly how many Code workbook criteria must have score increases before the next audit.
How to Guides/Presentations